Fischbrötchen – German Fish Sandwiches

Posted on | June 5, 2013 | 7 Comments

“Fischbrötchen” (lit. fish rolls) are famous Northern German sandwiches. They are made with fresh fish fillets in a fresh roll along with onions, lettuce, and other toppings. These fish sandwiches are usually sold directly by the fishermen or by fish smokeries so the fish is very fresh. And the rolls, well, I’m talking about fresh German bread, in other words, the bread is good… Good bread, especially such a variety of good bread like in Germany, is hard to come by in other parts of the world much to the dismay of the many Germans living outside of Germany. Anyways, the fish and the bread are so tasty and fresh, sauces are usually not necessary. However, a remoulade could be added if desired but most Fischbrötchen are prepared without any sauce.

Fischbrötchen are often sold from boats which are anchored in the harbours. The picture above shows such a boat in the city Wismar. Or they’re sold by fast food stands in the cities or shops by the fishermen where they sell their fresh fish.

Fischbrötchen – German Fish Sandwiches

• rolls
  • cooked, smoked, or pickled fish or prepared in other ways, for example soused herring (Matjes), smoked salmon, rollmops
  • thinly sliced onion
  • lettuce (optional)
  • bell pepper, sliced (optional)
  • cucumber, thinly sliced (optional)

Cut the roll in half and fill it with the fish as well as your topping of choice. Done! :-)

Guten Appetit!

Fischbrötchen / Fish Buns

• Brötchen
  • Fisch, zubereitet nach Belieben, z.B. Matjes, Räucherlachs, Rollmops, Backfisch
  • Zwiebel, in dünne Scheiben geschnitten
  • Salatblätter, auf Wunsch
  • Paprika, in dünne Streifen geschnitten, auf Wunsch
  • Gurke, in dünne Scheiben geschnitten, auf Wunsch

Das Brötchen halbieren und mit dem Fisch sowie auf Wunsch mit Zwiebeln, Salat, Paprika und Gurke belegen. Fertig! :-)

Guten Appetit!

Comments

7 Responses to “Fischbrötchen – German Fish Sandwiches”

1. Peter @Feed Your Soul Too
    June 6th, 2013 @ 06:04

I love all the different fish sandwiches. You have presented them in a way that I feel the sandwiches were made right after the fished was pulled out of the water.

2. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
    June 6th, 2013 @ 12:25

I’ve been cooking A LOT with fish lately, and I love these German fish sandwiches! I love all kinds of smoked or pickled fish – which, unfortunately, is hard to find in the US.

June 6th, 2013 @ 19:36

@ Peter: Thank you! :-)

@ Julia: I grew up eating quite a lot of fish. When I was young, I remember my grandpa taking me to the market place in the middle of town and buying soused fish (Matjes) from the fishermen. I like this memory. I agree, it is unfortunate that it’s hard to find in the US.

4. Laura Dembowski
    June 7th, 2013 @ 12:50

I love fish sandwiches, but I think I’ve only had fried ones. This is so much healthier yet sounds just as delicious, if not more so.

June 8th, 2013 @ 18:09

@ Laura: Usually fried-fish (Backfisch) sandwiches are sold as well, and they’re quite popular, too. But I like to choose the fresh fish. It’s such a tasty sandwich!!!

August 4th, 2013 @ 08:10

Aaaah! These look just like the ones we had in Griefswald! My husband LOVES fish rolls. Whenever we go to a market, he always gets a fish roll. But me? Never. I get Quarkbaellchen or whatever they’re called. Who can eat fish when there’s fried dough? ;)

Anyway, pretty sandwiches!

August 6th, 2013 @ 14:25

@ Erin: Hahaha… You made my day with this comment :-)
    Well, one of the Fischbrötchen in the picture actually was from Greifswald, my hometown… :-) What a small world… :-) Did you make any trips back to Rügen after your rainy adventure you told me about?