Cheesy Cauliflower “Breadsticks”

Posted on | November 7, 2012 | 16 Comments

I like food that is a bit different or intriguiging. I like to experiment with strange ingredients and sometimes with what seems a rather odd choice of an ingredient. I like the challenge of trying new things. I have seen recipes for cauliflower pizza crust before and I made a mental note to try it some time but when I saw a recipe for cauliflower breadsticks I couldn’t resist anymore and gave in. Making “bread” out of cauliflower seemed strange indeed. Let me make clear that this is not real bread but once it’s baked it has a similar consistency. I am very pleased how these “breadsticks” turned out. Who would’ve thought to make “bread” with cauliflower…

Cheesy Cauliflower “Breadsticks”

• 1/2 head of cauliflower
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 grated garlic cloves, or more or less
  • 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella or other cheese, plus extra cheese for sprinkling
  • herbs and/or spices, to taste
  • salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C.

Process the cauliflower in a food processor until it is very finely ground. Place the processed cauliflower in a bowl. Add the eggs, grated garlic, and 1/3 cup of cheese. Season to taste with herbs and spices of choice and salt and pepper.

Spread the mix on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread it evenly until it is about 0.5-1” / 1.3-2.5 cm thick. I made three long rectangles.

Bake it for about 40 minutes or until it slightly dried out and starts to brown. Remove it from the oven and flip the breadsticks. Sprinkle some cheese over the bread. And bake for 10 more minutes or until you think it is done.

Let it cool a little bit. Cut it into strips and serve the cauliflower “breadsticks” for example with pasta sauce.

Blumenkohl- “Brotstangen“ mit Käse

• 1/2 Kopf Blumenkohl
  • 2 Eier
  • 2 zerriebene Knoblauchzehen, oder nach Geschmack
  • 1/3 Tasse geraspelten Mozzarella oder anderen Käse, sowie extra Käse zum Bestreuen
  • Kräuter und/oder Gewürze, nach Wunsch
  • Salz und Pfeffer

Den Backofen auf 350°F / 175°C vorheizen.

Den Blumenkohl in einer Küchenmaschine klein häckseln bis er ganz fein zerkleinert ist. Den Blumenkohl in eine Schüssel geben. Die Eier, den geriebenen Knoblauch und den Käse hinzufügen und vermischen. Mit den gewünschten Gewürzen, Kräutern, Salz und Pfeffer abschmecken.

Den Blumenkohlmix auf ein mit Backpapier belegtes Backblech geben und glatt streichen bis es circa 0.5-1 inch / 1.3-2.5 cm dick ist. Ich habe drei lange Rechtecke mit dem Blumenkohlmix geformt.

Das Backblech in den Ofen schieben und das “Blumenkohlbrot” für circa 40 Minuten backen oder bis es leicht angetrocknet und gebräunt ist. Das Backblech aus dem Ofen nehmen und das “Blumenkohlbrot” wenden. Ein wenig Käse auf dem “Brot” verteilen und für circa 10 weitere Minuten backen.

Etwas abkühlen lassen und zum Beispiel mit Tomatensauce servieren.

Source:  Mama Grubbs Grub

Comments

16 Responses to “Cheesy Cauliflower “Breadsticks””

1. My Italian Smörgåsbord
    November 10th, 2012 @ 09:22

I can see that you like food that is a bit different or intriguing. and I am just the same, that’s why I like your cooking so much. this goes straight into my “to do soon” folder. love love love cauliflower and this idea of making them taste almost like bread is just divine. xox

November 10th, 2012 @ 17:15

@ My Italian Smörgåsbord: Ohh, thank you! <3 I love your site and cooking as well. Your Lasagne di panissa alla zucca calls no screams my name… :-D

November 11th, 2012 @ 11:45

I’ve made something similar before! Yours look great. :) If only you didn’t have to add cheese to the crust…! Then I’d be eating these all the time.

November 11th, 2012 @ 20:55

@ Erin: Thanks!

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    November 13th, 2012 @ 13:09

What a great idea! It’s all cauliflowers and no actual bread! Very impressive and I love cauliflower and this is a totally new way for me to enjoy it!

6. Rachel @ Bakerita
    November 13th, 2012 @ 22:03

I’ve been wanting to try this! It sounds great, such an interesting idea.

November 13th, 2012 @ 23:22

@ Nami: I love cauliflower, too but I admit I don’t have too many cauliflower recipes up my sleeve. One more reason to love this one :-D I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting!

@ Rachel: Please do try this. It really is an interesting and really tasty idea. I love it. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

8. Katie (The Muffin Myth)
    November 14th, 2012 @ 01:18

This is a great idea! I’ve tried the cauliflower pizza crust before and while I liked the taste (couldn’t fool the kids I served it to, though), I found it difficult to pick up the slices. These bread sticks look like they’d be much easier to handle. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

9. Danielle
    December 3rd, 2012 @ 17:46

I made this today and it was delicious!! It was extra yummy with some Frank’s Red Hot on it.

The only bad part of this was that it stuck to the parchment paper. When I flipped what wasn’t stuck to the paper over, I put it on aluminum foil that time. It stuck to the foil, too. I suggest spraying the baking sheet or foil with olive oil first so you don’t lose any and the bottom actually looks like a breadstick.

10. afracooking
    January 27th, 2013 @ 10:56

I already confessed to my love for cauliflower on my blog but this vegetable keeps on suprising me. Thank you so much for sharing I must try!

January 30th, 2013 @ 17:37

@ afracooking: I have to agree, cauliflower is just awesome! :-) Thank you for commenting :-)

12. Sofia
    April 3rd, 2013 @ 07:10

I made these last night, and they were great. They reminded me of cheese ravioli. mmm Thanks for the recipe! :)

April 11th, 2013 @ 13:43

@ Sofia: Thanks for commenting! I am glad you liked them… Mmmm, cheese ravioli… I like those :-)

14. marlin
    May 2nd, 2013 @ 03:37

love it

15. Patty
    May 9th, 2013 @ 10:56

1 question
    Do you cook the cauliflower first before you process in the food processor or do you start with raw cauliflower?

May 16th, 2013 @ 03:02

@ Patty: Sorry for the late reply. The cauliflower is raw when it’s processed in the food processor.