Italian Strawberry Bruschetta

Posted on | June 8, 2012 | 8 Comments

I have traveled several times to Norway and Sweden. On one of those trips I tried fresh goat cheese from a farm. It was so strong. I really did not like it and I did not touch goat cheese again for years. But then one day a recipe called for goat cheese and it sounded intriguing. It was as if the recipe said, “I dare you use goat cheese.” I can’t have that… so challenge accepted. I tried it and to my surprise I loved it. It tastes amazing. I think I must have tasted simply a really strong goat cheese back then because this one they sell here is rather mild in comparison and I love it.

I have grown quite fond of the taste of fruit with goat cheese. These little bites combine the flavours of goat cheese and strawberries on top of freshly toasted bread. It’s really tasty.

To be honest, I was slightly confused about the difference between Bruschetta and Crostini. So I asked my friend for help. She knows everything associated with Italy. She grew up there. So the verdict, we decided to call these Bruschetta rather than Crostini.

• 1 cup strawberries
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • baguette, sliced
  • goat cheese
  • basil or other herb of choice, chopped
  • pepper, to taste

Clean the strawberries and finely dice them.  Then combine the strawberries with the sugar and the balsamic vinegar.  Let the mixture marinade for at least 15 minutes.

Toast the baguette slices. Spread the goat cheese on the bread.  Top with some strawberries and some of the strawberry juice.  Sprinkle with chopped basil, and season with pepper.

Serve immediately.

Italienische Erdbeerbruschetta

• 1 Tasse Erdbeeren
  • 1 EL Zucker
  • 1 EL Balsamico-Essig
  • Baguette, in Scheiben geschnitten
  • Ziegenkäse
  • Basilikum oder andere Kräuter, klein geschnitten
  • Pfeffer

Die Erdbeeren säubern und in kleine Stücke schneiden. Die Erdbeeren mit dem Essig un Zucker vermischen und ca. 15 Minuten marinieren lassen.

Die Baguettescheiben toasten, mit Ziegenkäse bestreichen und dann Erdbeeren und etwas von dem Saft auf dem Käse verteilen. Mit Pfeffer würzen und mit Basilikum bestreuen.

Sofort servieren.

Source: Baltic Maid

Comments

8 Responses to “Italian Strawberry Bruschetta”

1. My Italian Smörgåsbord
    June 9th, 2012 @ 09:05

well… I think I would call it crostini :)
    generally I call crostini a more richly covered bread, like this one. but i aslo get confused between the two and I lived in Italy for 34 years.
    love your presentation!
    and goat cheese goes always great with sweet flavors, I agree, like this lovely strawberry spread.

2. Jen
    June 10th, 2012 @ 21:03

Ohhh that is too much for me, I wish the strawberries would hurry up a bit. They still taste bland here…sigh.

Played with my flame thrower huarrr huarrr a monster was born. Trying to find more food to “burn”

June 11th, 2012 @ 15:19

@ My Italian Smörgåsbord: Hmmm, well… hahaha… To my defense, if you follow the source link you’ll see I posted this recipe before but as Crostini… :-P … Thank you for the compliment!!!

June 11th, 2012 @ 15:29

@ Jen: hahaha… You made my day with your flame thrower comment. Does your husband regret his decision yet? ‘grins’ He does get to eat your delicious ‘burnt’ creations though, so he should be just fine, right? :-)

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    June 12th, 2012 @ 22:37

I know, goat cheese is really interesting. I don’t normally like goat cheese, like I wouldn’t choose it for eating with crackers, etc. I wouldn’t choose goat cheese. But when it’s with jams (I just temporary forgot what was the kind… I have to go Whole Foods to get that special jam, and I just can’t remember it now.. arh!)…Anyway, it goes so well with goat cheese to my surprise. I believe this has the similar effect. Looks delicious too!

June 14th, 2012 @ 17:26

@ Nami: With jam, that sounds so good. I love goat cheese with fruit but eating it with jam, well, that didn’t even cross my mind… I have to give this a try. Let me know when you remember. I’d love to try it with that special jam…

June 17th, 2012 @ 11:35

Well I’ve never tried either so I don’t know the difference either. I’m just a bit boring. I like Gouda and sweet stuff on my bread and nothing else. This looks like something great to serve to other people though! The guests can only be happy with garlic cheesy bread (classy, I know) for so long. I love your basket in the background!

June 19th, 2012 @ 23:44

@ Erin: Maybe you could ask your Italian teacher… :-D
    Garlic cheese bread? I can never get enough of it especially if someone makes it for me… :-) Your guests are lucky!