CrockPot Tapioca Pudding

Posted on | June 13, 2012 | 18 Comments

This recipe turns my CrockPot into a necessity. Let me explain, I am German and like most of us, I don’t care much about CrockPots. I have made some tasty recipes in my slow cooker before like Lasagna or Southern Pork Roast, but I just don’t use it that often, well, until now…  I made this recipe five times in the past few weeks. Needless to say that I love Tapioca Pudding and this recipe is awesome… :-)

Oh by the way, Germany beat Portugal on Saturday in the European Football Championship game. And today Germany won against the Dutch. It was an intense game. They call it the “Group of Death” for a reason, four really good teams in one group. I was streaming the game on the internet when all the sudden it stopped streaming and the screen went black… I was so mad… I had people text me what was happening… Thanks for the support!!  :-) The last ten minutes or so I finally got it working again. Yeah, go Germany!!!!

• 6 cups / 1440 ml milk
  • 1/2 cup / 100 g sugar
  • 3/4 cup small pearl tapioca
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Add the milk, sugar, and the tapioca pearls into the slow cooker. Stir well. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on high for 2 to 4 hours, occasionally stirring. I let the milk cook for 3 hours. The time might vary with the Crockpot model you have. The tapoica won’t be completely thick yet at this point.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and add the vanilla extract. Measure 1/2 cup of the hot tapioca mix and whisk it into eggs. Take another half cup of tapioca and mix it into the eggs. And repeat once more with another half cup.

Then take the egg mixture and add it to the crockpot. Cook on high for another 30 to 45 minutes.

Pour the mix into containers and place them in the refrigerator.

Tapioka-pudding (aus dem Schongarer / Slow Cooker)

• 1440 ml Milch
  • 100 g Zucker
  • 114 g kleine Tapioka-kügelchen
  • 2 Eier
  • 1 1/2 TL Vanille-extrakt

Die Milch, den Zucker und die Tapioka-kügelchen in einen Schongarer (Slow Cooker, Crockpot) geben und umrühren. Mit dem Deckel zudecken und auf hoher Stufe für 2 bis 4 Stunden köcheln lassen, gelegentlich umrühren.  Ich habe die Milch ca. 3 Stunden köcheln lassen. Die Kochzeit hängt auch ein bisschen vom Crockpot Model lab. Es gibt da wohl Uneterschiede. Der Pudding wird noch nicht ganz dick sein.

In einer Schüssel, die Eier leicht verschlagen. Das Vanilleextract hinzufügen. Dann ca. 120 ml vom heiβen Tapiokapudding abnehmen, zu den Eiern geben und unterrühren. Erneut ca. 120 ml vom Tapioka abmessen und unter die Eimasse geben. Das ganz noch einmal wiederholen.

Die Eiermasse zum Tapioka in den Schongarer geben.  Auf hoher Stufe für weitere 30 bis 45 Minuten köcheln lassen.

Den Pudding in Behälter geben und in den Kühlschrank stellen.

Source:  A Year of Slow Cooking

Comments

18 Responses to “CrockPot Tapioca Pudding”

1. myfudo
    June 16th, 2012 @ 00:05

I have tried making something similar using coconut milk and it tasted really delicious. I am sure this is amazing too. What milk did you use for this, by the way?

June 18th, 2012 @ 14:58

Ohh, with coconut milk… sounds delicious!!! I have tried it with 1% and 2% milk. Both versions tasted great! Thank you for commenting!

3. Alyssa
    June 19th, 2012 @ 12:55

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this now that it’s too hot to turn on my oven. :) Thanks for the recipe!

June 19th, 2012 @ 23:22

@ Alyssa: Thank you so much for your comment! I hope you try it. I cannot get enough of it… :-D

5. RecipeNewZ
    June 20th, 2012 @ 11:28

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes on RecipeNewZ! We love them and our visitors love them! And since this Tapioca Pudding was very popular lately, we featured it on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/RecipeNewZ. Congratulations!

June 20th, 2012 @ 22:08

@ RecipeNewZ: Thank you!!! :-D

7. Christal Steele
    June 27th, 2012 @ 11:52

Just wondering how many servings you got out of this recipe. I’m trying to decided if it’s worth fixing, since I’m on Weight Watchers. I may only be able to have a couple of Tablespoons! :-)

July 27th, 2012 @ 16:25

@ Christal: Sorry for the late reply. The recipe makes approximately 5 cups of pudding, maybe a little more.

9. WiscoTiffy
    September 13th, 2012 @ 08:08

This is currently in my crock pot! I can’t wait!

September 14th, 2012 @ 00:04

@ WiscoTiffy: :-D I really hope you like it. I am so addicted to it…

11. Jim G.
    September 18th, 2012 @ 17:36

well what can i say…i never knew what tapioca pudding was till very recently and found out i loved it…this recipe was so good cause it was easy and i can make a lot at once…one thing, i still don t know what it actually is, i just know when tapioca is raw it looks like packing material…but sure is tasty when its done :) thank u

September 23rd, 2012 @ 22:45

@ Jim: hahaha… packing material? This made my day!!! :-D I hope this resemblance hasn’t tempted you to throw any raw tapioca out… That would be a sad day… ;-)
    If I am not mistaken tapioca is the starch from cassava. Thank you so much for your comment! It made me smile for sure!

13. WiscoTiffy
    October 5th, 2012 @ 14:19

Coming back in to say that this WAS DELICIOUS! Will absolutely make again soon! Thanks for a great recipe.

October 5th, 2012 @ 17:30

@ WiscoTiffy: Ohhh, I am so glad you liked it. This makes me happy. Thanks for telling me… :-D

15. Robin
    June 28th, 2013 @ 16:15

I am looking forward to making this. It was something that my grandmother made when we came over. Mmmmmm… homemade tapioca pudding and warm German potato salad. These are the stuff of memories. I have her recipe for German potato salad but not the tapioca. Thank you!

July 9th, 2013 @ 11:36

@ Robin: I love it when food is associated with fun memories! Guten Appetit and I hope you’ll like the recipe!

17. Robin
    July 9th, 2013 @ 13:17

The recipe is delicious. I am looking forward to trying other recipes now. My husband and I lived in Bavaria for a few years and loved the cuisine. I noticed your comment on European pastries being not quite so “sweet” in another recipe. To us they were just perfect that way… Light and flaky without the heaviness of our American pastry. Hopefully I can get it right. The recipe for Rouladen also looks amazing.

August 6th, 2013 @ 14:02

@ Robin: Thank you so much for your comment! I am happy you liked this recipe and that you enjoy the German cuisine. What brought you to Bavaria?