German Stewed Rhubarb – Rhabarberkompott

Posted on | May 22, 2012 | 7 Comments

Do you like rhubarb? I love it. It has this tangy taste that is irresistible when combined with sugar…

This German recipe is easy to make and very tasty. You can eat the Rhabarberkompott on its own as a dessert or serve it with ice cream, vanilla pudding, cream of wheat, Quark (European dairy product) etc…

If you haven’t tried rhubarb yet or just don’t know what to do with it, this is a lovely recipe to get acquainted with it. Hope you’ll love it as much as I do.

• rhubarb stalks
  • water
  • sugar (or other sweeteners like honey)

(As an approximate guideline: I used about 1 kg/2lb rhubarb, 1/2 – 3/4 cup water, 2/3 cup sugar)

Clean the rhubarb and cut it into about 1 inch long pieces.

In a medium pan, bring a little bit of water to a boil. Add the rhubarb. The water should not cover the rhubarb, you only want a little bit of water covering the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and let the rhubarb simmer. Stir occasionally and add a little more water if necessary. The rhubarb is done when it falls apart and becomes tender.

Add sugar to taste. How much sugar you use is up to you but don’t use too much. The rhubarb should remain a little tangy.  You can also try to sweeten the rhubarb with other sweeteners like honey.

Chill the stewed rhubarb. Then serve it plain or as as a sauce for vanilla pudding, ice cream, cream of wheat, Quark etc.

Guten Appetit!

Rhabarberkompott

• Rhabarber
  • Wasser
  • Zucker (oder Honig oder anderen Süβstoffen)

(Ich habe ca. 1kg Rhabarber verwendet mit 120-180 ml Wasser und 130 g Zucker)

Den Rhabarber reinigen und in ca. 2 cm lange Stücke schneiden.

Etwas Wasser in einem mittelgroβen Topf zum Kochen bringen. Den Rhabarber hinzufügen. Das Wasser soll den Rhabarber nicht bedecken. Es sollte lediglich ein wenig Wasser den Boden des Topfes bedecken. Zugedeckt den Rhabarber köcheln lassen bis er zerfällt und weich wird. Gelegentlich umrühren und eventuell mehr Wasser hinzugeben.

Mit dem Zucker süβen. Die Zuckermenge ist geschmacksabhängig, aber nicht zu viel Zucker verwenden. Der Rhabarber soll ruhig noch ein biβchen sauer bleiben. Man kann auch mit Honig oder anderen Süβstoffen süβen.

Den Rhabarber kalt stellen und dann als Rhabarberkompott servieren oder als Soβe zu Eis, Vanillepudding, Quark oder Grieβbrei etc.

Guten Appetit!

Comments

7 Responses to “German Stewed Rhubarb – Rhabarberkompott”

May 22nd, 2012 @ 14:25

What a pretty pink color! I bought rhubarb for the first time about a month ago and it was only pink on the outside. This is making me think I didn’t get it in season or maybe it was just bad (it was from Aldi).

2. Jen
    May 22nd, 2012 @ 20:00

Hab ich schon erzaehlt, dass mien Mann mir zum mutter tag so einen mini flammenwerfer geschenkt hat? Lol werde demnaechst deine gesunde creme brûlée testen.

May 22nd, 2012 @ 23:22

@ Erin: Thanks! Mine was only red on the outside, too. But the kind I bought doesn’t need to be peeled so there was plenty of red colour to turn the entire dish pink. I am no expert when it comes to rhubarb but I don’t think yours was necessarily bad. Did you make anything with it?

@ Jen: Whohoo!!! Herzlichen Glueckwunsch! Da hat Dein Mann aber bestimmt Pluspunkte gesammelt :-P Mir gefaellt der Name ‘Mini Flammenwerfer’… hoert sich niedlich und doch gefaehrlich an :-P Viel Spass beim Ausprobieren!!!

May 23rd, 2012 @ 10:56

Dear Baltic Maid,

Is your first name a secret? :) Just wondering!

I made a strawberry rhubarb crisp but I wasn’t loving the mushy strawberries and also a strawberry rhubarb smoothie that my husband said was the best smoothie yet but I thought was gross. I didn’t know there were peelable and non-peelable kinds. I didn’t peel mine. :(

May 24th, 2012 @ 13:49

@ Erin: I am no expert on rhubarb but I never peeled it before. Although the kind we bought here said, “no peeling necessary” which makes me wonder if sometimes you do need to. I do remember from my childhood that sometimes rhubarb was peeled but maybe that was done because the rhubarb was older and/or tough. Like I said I always got away without peeling it, and it worked out great. It adds nice colour for sure. So I am sure you did it right. :-)

About the name, well, I actually enjoy the anonymity and not having all my information out there… I’ll probably change that some day… :-)

6. Christine
    May 25th, 2012 @ 07:46

There are different varieties of Rhubarb. Some are more pink or red than others. I have 2 kinds in the garden. They all taste good, but they don’t all have the pale pinkness that we associate with Rhubarb. It can be very green as well. I never peel mine.

I add a vanilla bean when I cook mine, I love the flavour it adds. I find I can use one bean for several batches.

In fact, I have some for lunch today!

May 27th, 2012 @ 16:30

@ Christine: I love the taste of vanilla with rhubarb, for example rhubarb with vanilla ice cream, vanilla pudding etc. Some recipes for stewed rhubarb add the European vanilla pudding pulver (different from the US pulver). That tastes delicious as well.
    I hope you had a tasty lunch. Thanks for your comment and the info about rhubarb!