Foil Potatoes with German Herb Quark

Posted on | May 17, 2012 | 7 Comments

Quark is a dairy product that is very popular in Germany and other European countries. Ask any German who lives outside of Germany and Europe what food they miss. I bet that Quark (and bread, of course!) is going to be on top of that list… :-) The other day I was actually able to find a small tub of Quark at Whole Foods. First time here in California… Maybe they had it all along who knows. Unfortunately though, a little tub costs a fortune, and it doesn’t taste quite the same. I was disappointed. However, it tasted good as Kräuterquark (Herb Quark) served with potatoes. :-D

There are many things you can use Quark for. It is used in German cheesecake like Zupfkuchen, as a spread on bread (usually mixed with herbs) or as a topping for potatoes. The opportunities are endless… :-)

If you live in a different country than your home country, what food do you miss?

• potatoes, unpeeled, washed
  • aluminum foil
  • Quark
  • mixture of fresh herbs, chopped (e.g. parsley, dill, chives, etc)
  • salt, pepper

Wrap each potato into aluminum foil. Place the wrapped potatoes on top of hot coals in a fire, on a grill or bake them in the oven. The time needed to cook the potatoes depends on the size of the potatoes and the how hot the coals are (or the oven).

In the meantime, mix together the Quark with your choice of chopped herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

When the potatoes are ready, serve them with the Quark. Guten Appetit!

Folienkartoffeln mit Kräuterquark

• Kartoffeln, ungeschält, gewaschen
  • Aluminiumfolie
  • Quark
  • Mix aus frischen Kräutern, klein geschnitten (z.B. Petersilie, Dill, Schnittlauch etc)
  • Salz, Pfeffer

Jede Kartoffel einzeln in Aluminiumfolie wickeln. Die Kartoffeln auf die heiβe Glut eines Lagerfeuers oder auf Grillkohle legen. Man kann die Kartoffel auch im Backofen backen. Wie lange die Kartoffeln brauchen bis sie gar sind, hängt von der Gröβe der Kartoffeln und auch davon wie heiβ die Glut bzw. der Backofen ist.

In der Zwischenzeit, den Quark mit den klein geschnittenen Kräutern vermischen. Mit Salz und Pfeffer abschmecken.

Die fertigen Kartoffeln mit dem Kräuterquark servieren. Guten Appetit!

Comments

7 Responses to “Foil Potatoes with German Herb Quark”

1. beti
    May 17th, 2012 @ 22:12

I haven’t heard about Quark but now I know that it really is popular, the potatoes look great!

May 19th, 2012 @ 13:54

@ Beti: Thanks. Hope you’ll get to try Quark one day.

3. RecipeNewZ
    May 19th, 2012 @ 15:12

This is a wonderful recipe! I love quark, I make it at home and am always looking for new ways to use it. This sounds delicious – a must try!

I would like to invite you to share this post (and other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched only last week. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site.

It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

4. Barbara
    May 19th, 2012 @ 18:53

I use Greek yogurt when I get a Quark craving, it’s close enough and I don’t have to mortgage my house for it.
    Schöne Grüße aus Arizona!

May 19th, 2012 @ 20:04

@ RecipeNewZ: I really should start making homemade Quark as well. Thanks for the inspiration. And thank you for the invitation to share my pictures. I’ll start submitting… :-)

@ Barbara: Your comment made me chuckle. It’s true though, Greek yogurt is pretty similar and doesn’t cost as much. I have been using it as well, even made a ‘Zupfkuchen’ with it. But I still taste the difference and wish I could have Quark every now and then especially for cakes… :-P Vielen lieben Dank für Deinen Kommentar. Viele liebe Grüße nach Arizona! :-D

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    May 21st, 2012 @ 22:24

I’ve learned about Quark while blog hopping somewhere. As a potato lover, this is something I need to give it a try!

May 22nd, 2012 @ 10:06

@ Nami: I have heard that you can buy Quark in San Francisco so maybe you can try it. Thanks for commenting!