Crock Pot Lasagna

Posted on | May 9, 2012 | 9 Comments

I have to admit that I never really warmed up to crock pots / slow cookers until just recently. I was gifted one years ago but never used it much. Well, we lived abroad for a while so there wasn’t much opportunity to use it but lets just say I certainly didn’t miss my crock pot. But I have come to the conclusion that they’re indeed quite handy to have around. One of my favourite crock pot recipes is this Southern Pork Roast with Pineapple and Cranberries. I absolutely love it.

But Lasagna in a crock pot? I was intrigued; I had to give it a try. The recipe is a pretty basic lasagna recipe leaving room for lots of adaptations like adding some veggies etc.

Crock Pot Size: 5 quarts

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • salt, pepper
  • tomato sauce (I used tomato sauce from can; approximately 26 oz)
  • lasagna noodles (uncooked)
  • 4 cups grated mozzarella
  • 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
  • some extra grated cheese of your choice (will be added shortly before serving)

Lightly grease the inside of your crockpot.

In a frying pan, brown the meat together with the chopped onion. Season with salt and pepper. Once the meat is cooked, add the tomato sauce and give everything a stir.

In a bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese with the ricotta cheese.

Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crockpot. Next cover the meat with lasagna noodles. The third layer will be half of the cheese mixture. Then spread 1/3 of the meat sauce over the cheese followed by the rest of the noodles.  The remaining cheese is spread on top of the noodles and then the remaining meat sauce.

The layers should look like this  1. meat sauce  2. noodles  3. cheese  4. meat sauce  5. noodles  6. cheese  7. meat sauce.

Then cover the crockpot and cook the lasagna. The time and temperature will depend on your needs and your crockpot. I cooked it for about an hour on high in the morning and then kept it on warm the rest of the day.

Five to ten minutes before serving, sprinkle some cheese over the lasagna.

Lasagne im Crockpot / Slowcooker / Schongarer

Gröβe des Crock Pots: 5 Liter

• 1 lb / 450 g Hackfleisch
  • 1 Zwiebel, klein geschnitten
  • Salz, Pfeffer
  • Tomatensoβe (Ich habe Tomatensoβe aus der Dose verwendet, ca. 26 oz / 736 g)
  • Lasagneplatten/-nudeln (ungekocht)
  • 4 Tassen Mozzarella, geraspelt
  • 1 1/2 Tassen Ricotta
  • ein wenig extra geraspelten Käse (Mozarella oder anderen Käse. Der Käse wird kurz vorm Servieren über die Lasagne gestreut)

Den Crockpot leicht einfetten.

In einer Pfanne, das Fleisch mit den Zwiebeln anbraten. Mit Salz und Pfeffer würzen. Wenn das Fleisch gar ist, die Tomatensoβe hinzufügen und umrühren.

In einer Schüssel, den geraspelten Mozzarellakäse mit Ricotta vermischen.

Ein Drittel der Fleischsoβe im Crockpot verteilen. Mit Lasagneplatten/-nudeln belegen. Als nächstes wird die Hälfte der Käsemischung auf den Lasagneplatten verteilt. Dann ein weiteres Drittel der Fleischsoβe über den Käse geben, dann wieder mit Lasagneplatten/-nudeln belegen. Den restlichen Käse über die Nudeln/Platten geben und dann die restliche Fleischsoβe darüber verteilen.

Die Schichten sehen wie folgt aus: 1. Fleischsoβe  2. Lasagneplatten/-nudeln  3. Käse  4. Fleischsoβe  5. Lasagneplatten/-nudeln  6. Käse  7. Fleischsoβe

Den Topf abdecken und die Lasagne kochen. Die Zeit und Temperatureinstellung hängt davon ab, wann man die Lasagne gern essen möchte. Ich habe die Lasagne am Morgen für eine Stunde auf ‘heiβ’ (high) gekocht und dann den restlichen Tag auf ‘warm’ stehen lassen.

Fünf bis zehn Minuten vor dem Servieren, die Lasagne mit dem extra Käse bestreuen.

Source: slightly adapted from Creating through Life

Comments

9 Responses to “Crock Pot Lasagna”

1. myfudo
    May 9th, 2012 @ 23:35

That’s one of the best comfort food ever, in a crock pot? So excited to try this out…

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    May 10th, 2012 @ 23:18

So jealous that you got the crock pot as a gift! I’ve been debating to get one forever. I just don’t have a space to store anymore and I picked ice cream maker last year instead. =P Lasagna in crock pot is never heard of and sounds so wonderful!! Another reason to have a crock pot. =)

3. Jen
    May 11th, 2012 @ 10:50

I have to admit I never had one. I was debating getting one with the baby around. Hubby says that if I have time to bake cookies I don’t really need it. lol. Good point haha

May 11th, 2012 @ 18:21

@ myfudo: I was really excited, too and very curious whether it would work… It certainly did. Hope it works out for you, too.

@ Nami: It was a wedding gift and to be honest I just did not know what to do with it. I have never seen crock pots in Germany when I grew up. Only now am I starting to learn the value of it. The lasagna is definitely a crock pot recipe I will make again. But an ice cream maker would’ve been for sure my choice as well :-P I don’t have one and so I frequently borrow the one from my in-laws. Definitely use the ice cream maker a lot!

@ Jen: Lets just say, I would have never bought one. But since it’s around I started using it. They can be quite handy and I think with the baby around you might find it useful. More time for cookies?! :-D

May 12th, 2012 @ 00:45

You are a picky eater’s best friend. I said something like this in your chicken post, but you’re posting the best real food (I mean non-desserts) of any of the blogs I follow, which is a crazy number like 200. Yay! I would LOVE to make this but I broke my crockpot. They don’t seem to exist here so I ordered one off of Ebay imported from the UK. It was really nice until I let it get really hot one day and then added the water. That was stupid. :(

May 13th, 2012 @ 09:33

@ Erin: Awwww, thank you!!! You really made my day! I am smiling like a “Honigkuchenpferd”! :-D
    I have never seen crockpots in Germany either but I wasn’t sure if times have changed and maybe by now they’re available. I guess not…

May 14th, 2012 @ 08:49

Haha, a honey cake horse. Thanks for teaching me a new idiom. I like that one. :) Today my students taught me „bis zur Vergasung.“ Boo! That’s a bad one. Very naughty of them. When I asked them, “…. really? I mean, seriously?” they said that they had never thought about it and now felt bad for saying it all these years.

Germany is kind of weird. They seem so high tech but they don’t have low tech things like crock pots. I guess maybe the Germans wouldn’t like them but they’re so practical! And my colleague, who is half German / half Canadian, was telling me about how she went phone shopping (not “Handy” shopping :) ) the other day and was really confused about how they were promoting answering machines as “the newest in phone technology!” I told her that she was crazy but then realized that none of the places I call regularly have answering machines. I don’t know why I’m babbling. I’ll leave you alone now. :)

May 15th, 2012 @ 13:24

@ Erin: Well, I am glad you liked the “Honigkuchenpferd”… :-D

9. Katherine
    June 7th, 2012 @ 20:37

Glad to see that you tried the Crock-pot Lasagna. Thanks for the link back!