Strawberry Banana Milkshake with Avocado

Posted on | March 18, 2012 | 12 Comments

Avocados are often used as an ingredients in milkshakes or desserts. This is very common in countries like Brazil, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, India and many more. The first avocado drink I tried was this delicious Chocolate Shake from Costa Rica. When adding avocado to a shake, the drink takes on a very smooth and creamy consistency. It is almost miraculous.

Avocados are considered quite healthy. Mixing them into a drink does not only take your drink to a whole other level of taste and creaminess, you also add some nutritional value to your drink.

• 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries
  • 1/2 banana
  • pulp of 1 avocado
  • 1 cup low-fat milk
  • honey, if desired

Place all ingredients in a blender and mix them until the drink becomes smooth. Sweeten with honey if desired. Ready.

Erdbeer-Bananen-Shake mit Avocado

• 1 1/2 Tassen frische Erdbeeren
  • 1/2 Banane
  • Fruchtfleisch einer Avocado
  • 1 Tasse Milch (mit geringem Fettgehalt)
  • Honig, bei Bedarf

Alle Zutaten in einen Blender/Mixer geben und alles mixen bis das Getränk eine geschmeidige Konsistenz annimmt. Bei Bedarf mit Honig süβen. Fertig!

Comments

12 Responses to “Strawberry Banana Milkshake with Avocado”

March 20th, 2012 @ 14:17

I had no idea that you can use avocados in drinks! I’ve been making tons of pudding with them lately but it sounds like I need to start making drinks out of them. I think I’ll partly freeze the avocado and banana and see if that makes it even more creamy.

I love those glasses! Very pretty. :)

March 21st, 2012 @ 13:23

I have yet to make pudding with avocado. That sounds delicious!
    Let me know how it works out with freezing the banana and avocado. However the drinks do come out quite creamy without freezing. You might be surprised…
    Thanks for your comment! I appreciate it!

April 4th, 2012 @ 08:40

I’m headed off to Ruegen (any tips? :) ) on Friday and thought of you and headed back here. I just made this with frozen raspberries instead of strawberries and just left out the banana. I don’t have any and I’m allergic anyway. And I used half yogurt, half milk. It’s amazing! I don’t taste the avocado at all and it just needed a little Stevia. Thanks a bunch for the recipe! It’s what I’m going to make whenever I have avocados about to go bad. Eating enough fruits and veggies is hard for me and this helps. :)

April 4th, 2012 @ 22:04

I am so glad you liked it. I know you certainly cannot tell that avocado is an ingredient. I love it!
    Ruegen, oh my, such a fun place… You definitely have to see the Chalk Cliffs (do you know the Romantic painter Caspar David Friedrich?). You can actually spent quite some time there if you decide to walk down the stairs through the forest. Look for Huehnergoetter (rocks with a hole in them). Notice the road on Ruegen, which is part of the Deutsche Alleenstrasse. Kap Arkona with its lighthouses. There is a hunting castle in Granitz. One of my favourite things to do is to take a walk through the beautiful resort towns and along the beaches. Another thing to do is to take the ferry to Hiddensee, another island next to Ruegen… There is so much more… hahaha… I hope you have fun!

April 5th, 2012 @ 14:22

Thank you so much! We’ve been having a hard time finding things to do and your insider tips have helped. I’ll report back. :)

April 5th, 2012 @ 17:12

I read about the weather on your site… :-(
    But I like the sea and beach in any weather. Going to the windy, rainy beach, looking for Huehnergoetter, getting all cold and then having a hot chocolate in a cute cafe in one of the resort towns… Sounds like a perfect day to me… :-) I hope you enjoy your time there anyways despite the weather. Frohe Ostern!

April 9th, 2012 @ 04:33

So we did the chalk cliffs and walked down the stairs through the forest. When we got there, I was like, “Huh? Why are all these people obsessed with finding seashells?” and then my husband explained that Huehnergoetter are small rocks on the beach with holes in them and not the super huge rocks in the water with holes in them. Whoops! Good thing I had a German with me.

On our way there, we went to Stralsund and that was great! I loved the types of houses there. Way different and better than the ugly East German Plattenbau all around me in Berlin. On the way back, we did Greifswald and that was our favorite thing of the trip. Small and cute. :)

Our big Ruegen day was the one day with terrible weather and first we went to the cliffs and I fell on a chalky / watery puddle and it got my feet wet and my black pants all white. So we gave up on the other stuff. We just returned back to the hotel and played games. And we saw the U-boot museum! That was interesting. And we ate lots of Fischbroetchen. I’m happy we went but I would have liked to visit Hiddensee and Kap Arkona.

Thanks again for your advice! :)

April 9th, 2012 @ 20:42

I guess I should’ve mentioned that Huehnergoetter are “small” rocks… oops… hehe… Good thing your husband knew about it. Did you look for one?
    I am glad there were some good parts during your trip despite the weather. You could actually make an entire Hiddensee trip next time. Find out what there is to do on the island (like riding bikes around, beach trips) and you could stay overnight in one of guest houses…
    But I am very pleased to hear that visiting my hometown was your favourite part of the trip… I feel honoured… :-D
    By the way, I didn’t know your husband was German, mine is American… :-)
    I doubt my advice was very helpful especially with the bad weather you had but you’re welcome. :-)

April 11th, 2012 @ 13:05

All I did was try to stay out of the wetness. It was really horrible. But I did find one! It’s kind of neat.

You’re from Greifswald?! You should have recommended it! Okay, I only mentioned Ruegen but it’s close enough. We didn’t even plan to go there but it looked so neat while we were going through it on the train that I said we should take a look on the way back. All the other cities look so ugly from the train station. Greifswald does a nice job of luring tourists with their scenery from the train station. :)

My husband (a Berliner) and I met while exchange students in Uppsala, Sweden and the entire time we were walking around, we just kept saying how it looked and felt like Uppsala. And then we found the sign near the church that talked about how that area belonged to Sweden until 1810 or something like that. And then it all made sense! It’s awesome. I’d much rather live there than Berlin.

April 12th, 2012 @ 12:48

I would’ve totally recommended Greifswald if I would’ve known that you were interested in other places as well. Part of Greifswald is the cute fishing village called Wieck. It is a nice walk around its harbour with its old historic bridge.
    Yes, it was part of Sweden for some time. It became part of Sweden after the Thirty Years’ War (ended 1648) and remained part of Sweden until 1815. I actually feel like I have a lot more in common with the Scandinavian mentality than the southern German one… :-)
    I am really glad you enjoyed walking around Greifswald though… :-)
    There are lots of other great destinations on the Baltic Sea like Usedom or Darβ… Let me know when you plan another trip north… :-)

April 16th, 2012 @ 13:21

Nooooo! I missed that village! Now we have to go back. :) My husband would like it because it means more fish rolls for him.

I’ve lived in Sweden twice before and so I like that you think you have more of a Scandinavian mentality. I don’t know what the southern German one is, only the Berliner, and I’m not a huge fan.

I will definitely let you, the official travel guide of my future northern Germany travels, know about any trips we take. Thanks again! :D

April 19th, 2012 @ 17:42

It is a lot more fun when you have good weather anyways so I guess you just have to go back… :-D
    I am honoured to be your travel guide… :-D