Pineapple Blueberry Smoothie with Oats

Posted on | January 5, 2012 | 10 Comments

What a healthy way to start the day!  Breakfast has never been my favourite meal of day.  Even though I am hungry, I just do not have an appetite early in the morning.  With a smoothie like this though,  breakfast is something I look forward to. It tastes delicious and it’s healthy; it’s a win-win.

Usually I soak the oats overnight but my decision to make a smoothie this morning was rather spontaneous.  So I soaked the oats for only 30 minutes, and it worked well.

• 1/4 cup regular oats, soaked in 1/4 cup water for about 30 min
  • 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
  • 1/2 cup low fat or fat free yogurt
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • honey, if desired

Soak the oats in 1/4 cup of water; either you do this overnight or for 30 minutes in the morning.

Add the pineapple and the yogurt into a blender.  Blend until the mix becomes somewhat smooth.

Then add the oats (remove any excess liquid) and the frozen blueberries. Mix again.

Taste and adjust sweetness with some honey if necessary.  It was sweet enough for my taste without any honey but that’s a question of taste preference and how sweet the fruits are.

Ananas-Blaubeer-Smoothie mit Haferflocken

• 1/4 Tasse Haferflocken, 30 Minuten in 1/4 Tasse Wasser einweichen lassen oder aber über  Nacht einweichen lassen
  • 1 Tasse frische Ananasstücke
  • 1/2 Tasse Joghurt (mit reduziertem Fettgehalt)
  • 1 Tasse gefrorene Blaubeeren
  • Honig, nach Geschmack

Die Haferflocken in 1/4 Tasse Wasser einweichen, entweder über Nacht oder aber morgens für 30 Minuten.

Die Ananasstücke und den Joghurt in einen Blender/Mixer geben und pürrieren.

Dann die Haferflocken (falls vorhanden, überschüssige Flüssigkeit vorher abgiessen) und die Blaubeeren hinzufügen und alles erneut im Blender mixen.

Mit etwas Honig abschmecken falls nötig.  Für mich war der Smoothie süss genug, aber das ist ja Geschmackssache und hängt auch von den Früchten ab.

Comments

10 Responses to “Pineapple Blueberry Smoothie with Oats”

1. Paula @ Dishing the Divine
    January 8th, 2012 @ 16:55

Your picture of this is gorgeous! I’m sitting here eating a bowl of blueberry yogurt while reading your post and thinking that your smoothie sounds better than my yogurt does! :)

2. beti
    January 8th, 2012 @ 19:16

it looks really good and healthy, smoothies are really one of my favorite drinks

January 8th, 2012 @ 19:45

@ Paula: Your comment made me chuckle. :-D Thanks!!! How about freezing the rest of that yogurt for a smoothie in the morning… :-P Thanks for your comment!

January 8th, 2012 @ 19:50

@ Beti: I love smoothies, too. I should really make them more often. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

5. Colleen
    January 9th, 2012 @ 04:53

Smoothies are a favorite of mine, and this one looks awesome! Such a pretty color. I recently started adding oats to some of my smoothies too. They’re a great addition! :)

January 11th, 2012 @ 22:11

@ Colleen: Thanks for making my day brighter with your comment! :-)

7. Nicolette
    February 11th, 2013 @ 10:28

Sounds and looks amazing!!! I’m curious to known why you soak the oats before blending them. I’ve had oats plenty of time in my smoothies but always dry never soaked.

February 21st, 2013 @ 21:51

@ Nicolette: Thank you! I have to say that I do not soak the oats every time either. However, from what I understand is that soaking the oats helps to break them down which will allow you to digest them easier. I also like to soak them for a creamier texture of the smoothie.

9. Wendy
    May 7th, 2013 @ 17:53

I never get up on time in the mornings. Im going to try this as a make the night before breakfast smoothie. I also had to tweek the recipe. I didnt have enough blueberries but I did have some extra strawberries. For once I cant wait till the morning.

May 29th, 2013 @ 19:17

@ Wendy: I hope you enjoyed it in the morning :-)