Hmong New Year Celebration – Part 2

Posted on | January 3, 2012 | 6 Comments

Last week, we attended the Hmong New Year Celebration in Fresno, California.  The Hmong people are an ethnic group from regions in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and China.  Yesterday, I posted a few pictures of some of the delicious food that was served everywhere.  Today, I post some pictures of their fascinating traditional clothing.  Mostly the women and girls were dressed up but every now and then you could spot a man in a traditional outfit as well.

The children were absolutely adorable.

The Hmong ball tossing game pov pob was played everywhere.  It is a traditional Hmong courtship game played at Hmong New Year celebrations.  It is an opportunity for Hmong single adolescents to get to know each other.  The ball is tossed back and forth between the girl and the boy.  If the ball drops, an item or ornament is given to the opposite player. This item can be recovered by singing a love song.  We saw many young adults participate in this game.  I believe the girls are allowed to toss the ball to other girls, but boys cannot ball toss with other boys.  I have seen many young girls play pov pob.

Quite a few women were wearing the traditional dresses.

And every once in a while you could see a man in a traditional outfit as well.

Once again, Happy New Year everyone!

Comments

6 Responses to “Hmong New Year Celebration – Part 2”

1. Simply Tia
    January 4th, 2012 @ 17:59

I love culture and traditions from all around the world. These little girls are gorgeous! Great shots. Thanks for sharing

January 4th, 2012 @ 19:47

Same here, I am fascinated by culture and traditions from around the world. Thank you for your comment! Happy New Year!

3. Jenny @ Savour the Senses
    January 7th, 2012 @ 10:54

What a cool experience! The little girls are so cute =)

January 8th, 2012 @ 19:30

@ Jenny: It was a really neat experience and I learned quite a bit about the Hmong culture. And the little girls were so adorable in their dresses <3
    Thanks for your commment. I hope you’ll have lots of awesome experience in Hawaii! Good luck with everything!

5. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    January 12th, 2012 @ 14:15

Thanks for sharing this post. My Hmong friends I met in college are just really, really nice people and they always treat me like their family. I’ve been to their wedding, New Years, (and unfortunately funeral), and experienced Hmong culture closely. I enjoyed your post!

January 13th, 2012 @ 10:35

@ Nami: Thank you! The Hmong people really are nice people and their culture fascinates me. Thanks for visiting and commenting!