Posted on | October 3, 2011 | 10 Comments
This is a quick and easy way to prepare chicken. The chicken pieces are coated with whole wheat flour, shortly fried and then cooked with bell peppers and tomatoes. Basil and oregano add some Italian and Mediterranean flavours. The chicken turned out very tender, and the sauce was perfect. Served with some fresh bread, this is a delicious yet simple dinner or lunch recipe.
Ingredients serves 4-6
- 4 Chicken Breast, cut into bite size pieces (can also be done with skinless chicken thighs, about 2 per person)
- whole wheat flour
- olive oil
- olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 6 bell peppers, mixed colors, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 kg tomatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil, plus more to taste
- salt, pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
- pepper/chili flakes, to taste
Toss the chicken pieces in some whole wheat flour to coat them.
In a large frying pan, heat some olive oil and fry the chicken pieces until lightly browned. The chicken does not need to be done at this point. Then remove the chicken from the pan.
Add the onion slices and cook them in a little olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Add the bell peppers, tomatoes, oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil, constantly stirring.
Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Season everything with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and let everything simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked and tender.
Taste and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Serve with fresh bread.
Source: adapted from “Easy Chicken” by Love Food