Soleier – German Pickled Eggs

Posted on | September 23, 2011 | 8 Comments

This is a very old German recipe.  The water is colored by onion peels and spiced with salt and caraway seeds.  Along the cracks of the egg shell, a neat brown pattern will emerge on the egg itself.  The eggs have a salty taste with a hint of caraway.

There are different ways to eat them.  One way is to eat the peeled egg plain.  Another way is to halve the peeled egg. Take out the yolk, pour a little oil, vinegar, and mustard into the mold.  Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over it.  Place the egg yolk back on the egg and eat the egg half with one bite.

These eggs make a great snack or appetizer.  They can also be eaten as a side to a main dish salad or serve them next time you entertain some friends.  In Germany, they are often served in bars as a hearty snack.

• 8-9 eggs
  • about  2 handful of onion peels (brown, red, or mixed)
  • about 2 tbsp salt
  • 2 tbsp caraway seeds
  • 1 1/2 l water

Bring the water with the onion peels, salt, and caraway seeds to a boil.  Let it simmer for a few minutes.  Then  strain the water through a sieve into a sealable glass or container.   Save some of the caraway seeds and put them into the glass as well.

Boil the eggs for 10 to 12 minutes.  Then take them out without rinsing them under cold water.  Crack the shell all around the egg but do not peel the eggs.   Then place the eggs in the still hot brine.

As soon as the water cooled down, close the glass and place it in the refrigerator.  Leave it there for at least 2-3 days but no longer than 10 days.

Comments

8 Responses to “Soleier – German Pickled Eggs”

1. Amanda
    September 24th, 2011 @ 08:50

beautiful pics! absolutely beautiful!

Amanda
    softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

2. liz
    September 25th, 2011 @ 06:16

I am going to make these right now on this quiet Sunday morning. It will use up some of my caraway seeds too.
    Thanks for sharing !

3. Aimee
    September 25th, 2011 @ 06:47

Funny, we have a similar recipe in central Pennsylvania, USA. It’s a area with a very large population of German heritage. We use beets w/ vinegar, salt, and a bit of sugar. The eggs end up this beautiful dark pink and they are delicious! I’ll have to give these a try sometime soon!

September 25th, 2011 @ 15:40

Thank you all for coming by and leaving such nice comments. I appreciate it and hope you like this recipe.

@ Aimee: Thanks for sharing this info with me. I love it. That is very interesting! I have eaten similar eggs with beets before, and they are so tasty and beautiful!

5. John
    September 30th, 2011 @ 20:42

I love this picture.

October 3rd, 2011 @ 00:57

Thanks!

7. roselynn
    April 12th, 2012 @ 17:58

I lived with a girl that was from Germany- she was an amazing cook, but a terrible person. She made these pickled eggs once and I loved them. I have been looking for the recipe for a long time… I can’t wait to make them! Thanks

April 15th, 2012 @ 09:26

Thanks for your comment, Roselynn.
    You inspired me to make this recipe again tomorrow. I love pickled eggs… :-)