Healthy Zucchini Brownies

Posted on | August 1, 2011 | 75 Comments

Yes, you read right I mentioned the words healthy and zucchini in connection with brownies.  These brownies are super delicious, and you won’t even have the slightest idea that they are have been prepared with zucchini!  They are filled with chocolatey goodness and believe me, you won’t feel bad eating these guys.  Well, unless you eat them all at once…

Here’s why they are “healthy”:  whole wheat flour is used; the oil is substituted with applesauce; lots of cocoa powder is added for some healthy antioxidants;  and two cups of shredded zucchini…  This has to be good for you…

And the best of it all, they taste absolutely incredible.  These brownies are super moist and rich in chocolate…  A must-try!!!

• 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup / 200 g sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup / 60 ml applesauce
  • 1 cup / 150 g whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup / 45 g unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • 2 cups (about 300 – 320 g) grated zucchini
  • 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C.

In a bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, salt, and the applesauce.

Sieve the flour and the cocoa powder into another bowl.  Add the baking soda, the cinnamon and the cardamom.  Mix well.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and combine until the dry ingredients are mixed in well.

Add the grated zucchini and the chocolate chips. Mix once more.

Pour the brownie batter into a greased 8 x 8” / 20 x 20 cm baking tin or something with similar dimensions.

Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out somewhat clean.

Allow to cool completely in the pan.

Source:  slightly adapted from Food + Words

Comments

75 Responses to “Healthy Zucchini Brownies”

1. Natalie
    August 1st, 2011 @ 16:30

They look incredibly delicious! And they definitely look ‘chocolatey goodness’ :D

August 2nd, 2011 @ 10:07

Thanks, Natalie. I hope you’ll have some time soon to try them out. Can’t wait to hear your verdict!

3. Kimberly
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 07:12

If possible, do you know the calories per serving? I would LOVE to make this :)

4. Jessica
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 12:02

I made these today and loved them. They came out more cakey than brownie, but they’re still delicious.

August 3rd, 2011 @ 12:35

Thanks for all the comments!
    Kimberly, I have to admit I don’t know the calories but I hope you’ll give the recipe a try anyways.
    Jessica, I am glad you enjoyed them, too. I sure did!

6. knitstamatic
    August 4th, 2011 @ 07:00

Oh my these brownies look absolutely amazing! I love the addition of zucchini too, one of my fav veggies. They’re now on my must try list!

7. Natalie B
    August 8th, 2011 @ 11:57

Tried these over the weekend. Super easy and really delicious.

August 9th, 2011 @ 09:45

@ Natalie: Thanks for coming by and commenting. I am glad you enjoyed them as much as I did.

August 9th, 2011 @ 09:49

@ Miriam ‘On Willy St’: Thank you for linking back to me. I’d try to leave a comment on your wall but I couldn’t, therefore I comment here. I’d love to make the brownies even healthier with less sugar or some sugar substitute. Let me know how it works out.

10. Natalie
    August 12th, 2011 @ 16:42

Heya!
    I finally made them, and they turned out great!! They did kind of stick to the baking tin (of course hahaha)so they don’t look the best but are still eatable! :D

11. Toni
    August 17th, 2011 @ 14:57

My picky little sisters who won’t eat anything love these. And I love sneaking zucchini into their “treats” while they’re at school! :)

August 17th, 2011 @ 18:12

@ Toni: That is awesome! I love the thought of that. Thanks for making my day with your comment! :-)

13. Natalie
    August 18th, 2011 @ 02:31

5th time I’m making these, and I love them more every time!! By now I became an expert at baking them(no more sticking to the baking tin or burning the sides)hahahaha. Anywho, this weekend its a family ‘reunion’ so I’ll be preparing some more :D -the recipe is now part of the fridge door hehe-.

August 18th, 2011 @ 10:01

@ Natalie: I am so proud of you!!!! That is awesome. You will surpass me with your cooking and baking skills by the time you’re my age for sure… hahaha… Your family is going to love them!!!!

15. kate
    August 19th, 2011 @ 20:13

What a small world! I just posted my own version of Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies. Mine are sweetened entirely with honey or agave nectar (if you are looking for a recipe that doesn’t use sugar). Brownies CAN be healthy! Great minds thing alike.

16. Elly
    September 5th, 2011 @ 03:39

Can’t wait to try these – I’m going to make them tonight. Won’t tell the family what’s in them until afterwards though – can’t wait to see their faces!

September 5th, 2011 @ 07:34

@ Kate: Thank you for your comment. I love healthy brownies. I will have to try agave nectar sometime to sweeten them to make them even better. Thanks.
    @ Elly: hahaha…I hope they love them as much as my surprised family and guests. Enjoy! Thanks for your comment!

18. Natalie
    September 15th, 2011 @ 11:14

Oh mercy…this is just what I’ve been looking for! Thank you SOOOO much! I can’t wait to try them! I have a feeling I’ll be blogging about these soon. Thanks so much!

Natalie from
    NatSprat.blogspot.com

19. Jessi
    October 13th, 2011 @ 09:35

These look super yummy! Out of curiosity, what does the cardamom do, I’ve never cooked with it?

20. lexophilia
    January 18th, 2012 @ 10:42

I can’t wait to try these tonight! As a sweetsaholic it is sure difficult to satisfy that desire for decadence and still be healthy/lose weight! I love zucchini, so I’m excited about these!

January 18th, 2012 @ 16:09

@ Natalie from NatSprat: I hope you gave these brownies a try and loved it… :-) Thanks for commenting!

January 18th, 2012 @ 16:10

@ Jessi: In Germany, we use cardamom quite often when we bake Christmas treats. I am not sure how to explain what it does other than it adds some extra flavour (lame explanation, I know… :-( ). If you have cardamom available just give it a try, I love the little extra flavour but I’m sure the recipe would be fine without it, too.

January 18th, 2012 @ 16:15

@ Lexophilia: I hope you’ll love these brownies as much as I do. Thanks for commenting and keep up the healthy lifesyle!!!

24. daina
    January 21st, 2012 @ 10:36

i made this last night and they were delicious! more cake-like than brownie i thought, but so good. i used 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips instead of 1 1/2 of regular and thought that was plenty of chocolate, just another way cut some calories.

January 22nd, 2012 @ 09:13

@ daina: I am glad you enjoyed them. :-) I have experimented with the amount of chocolate chips as well and I came to the conclusion that by reducing the chocolate chips the brownies will indeed become more cake-like. I even left them out completely and out came chocolate cake. But if you want fudgy brownies, you’ll need to add 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips. Hope this explains the more cake-like texture!
    Thanks for visiting and commenting!

26. Lauren
    January 29th, 2012 @ 14:17

These are in the oven right now and I can’t wait to pull them out! I’m making these for my butter-and-sugar-loving-parents. Fingers crossed they like them!

We also have a family line of organic baking mixes called “Eveything but the”. You just add water, oil, and a fresh fruit or vegetable. They’re not quite as healthy because they include white flour, but we’d loooooove to come up a new sweet zucchini-based treat (instead of savory). Thanks for inspiring us!

Lauren

27. Jennifer
    January 31st, 2012 @ 10:23

Oh My! Two of my girls and I just made these and they are absolutely fabulous! The cardamom really adds a great flavor and scent to these. Thanks for the great recipe!

February 1st, 2012 @ 12:27

@ Lauren & Jennifer: Thank you both so much for your comments!

29. Michelle
    February 14th, 2012 @ 05:38

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I just worked out the PointsPlus value (for those of you Weight Watchers folks out there) and with whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and every last one of those delicious chocolate chips, it comes out to 4 points per brownie (if you cut a 9×9 pan down to 16 brownies). Using a sugar substitute and perhaps 1 cup of chocolate chips rather than 1.5 could bring it down even more. Such a delicious treat!

February 15th, 2012 @ 11:01

@ Michelle: Thank you for your comment and for posting the points. I appreciate it!!!

31. Layla
    February 25th, 2012 @ 20:17

They’re great! Does it matter if we refrigerate them or leave them out? any recommendations son which is better?

32. Celia
    March 4th, 2012 @ 05:56

Thank you so much for this recipe! It’s in the oven right now, with a few modifications; I made it gluten-free, so I hope it turns out!
    I substituted the whear flour with 1/2c. almond flour, 1/4 coconut flour, and 1/4 brown rice flour. I also only added 1/2 c sugar, and 1/8 c of agave.
    Will let you know how it turns out!
    Thanks!
    Celia

March 4th, 2012 @ 20:13

@ Layla: Sorry for the late reply. I have tried it both ways. I cannot tell you which one is better though… I like them both.

March 4th, 2012 @ 20:15

@ Celia: Thanks for sharing this. Please do let me know how they turn out! I’d love to try a gluten-free version!

35. Susan
    April 22nd, 2012 @ 13:51

Just made these for my family today! They loved them!! My two year old grandson can’t get enough! I only added 1/2 cup choc chips and that was plenty!! Very yummy!!!!

April 28th, 2012 @ 10:26

@ Susan: I am glad that you and your grandson enjoyed them!!! Thanks for sharing this… It made me smile :-D

37. Kate
    June 21st, 2012 @ 17:49

175 calories each (if you cut a pan of brownies 4×4), following the recipe exactly with the exception of the chocolate chips- why settle for anything but dark chocolate?

38. Jessica
    July 19th, 2012 @ 12:16

We are in the process of making these and my son, 2 and 1/2 is super excited! We can’t wait to eat them!

39. Channa
    July 26th, 2012 @ 16:25

Just ythese babies out of the oven and they are DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing!

40. Maureen Wing
    August 24th, 2012 @ 06:06

These look awesome. Can’t wait to try them.

41. Lavender
    August 24th, 2012 @ 11:12

I added the calories for the entire pan of brownies. In the entire recipe there is 2,721 calories. Divide that between the number of brownies you have cut. Hope this helps some of you!

42. Rachel
    August 24th, 2012 @ 15:20

These look Fabulous! can’t wait to make them!

43. Cathy M
    August 25th, 2012 @ 10:31

I found this on pinterest and just tried it today with some zucchini grown locally- FANTASTIC!!! My chocolate loving, veggie hating niece absolutely loves them. Thanks for sharing.

44. ariane
    August 26th, 2012 @ 00:16

hello baltic maid ! i’m a french student girl and through these few words you can imagine how much i love your reciepe : cheap, easy to do, diet and healthy and sooooooo tasty !
    we made it yesterday with my boyfriend, and we added some hazelnuts (delicious, don’t hesitate to add tones of that !) but i think we could also add cranberries. I tried a chocolate-cranberries cake in amsterdam and it was “à se taper le cul par terre” (so good that you could bite the dust with your own ass).

thank you one more time !

45. Vicki
    August 27th, 2012 @ 12:06

I haven’t tried these YET, but if they are like my zucchini bread they get more moist each day (if they last that long). Can’t wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe.

46. sharon schwieterman
    August 29th, 2012 @ 08:10

could you use Splenda instead of sugar
    then they would be healthier.??

August 29th, 2012 @ 15:00

Thank you all for your lovely comments!!!
    <3<3<3

August 29th, 2012 @ 15:01

@ Sharon: I don’t see a reason why Splenda wouldn’t work but I haven’t tried it. Please let me know how it works out in case you try it. Thanks!

49. Janet
    August 30th, 2012 @ 20:59

Baked these as mini muffins with paper liners for a Heart Healthy bake sale. They sooo sticked to the paper. It made me almost eat the paper because they were FABULOUS!
    I got lots of requests for this recipe. Oh…and I used dark chocolate chips. YUM!

50. Joan
    September 2nd, 2012 @ 20:43

Hi, Baltic Maid.
    Your recipe looks delicious and I’m planning to try it tomorrow. One question: Do I need to squeeze out the moisture in the zucchini before measuring and adding it? I made muffins with frozen zucchini once before and they came out too moist—I think I should have strained it or squeezed out some of the water first. Would it be different with the brownies?

51. Iris
    September 3rd, 2012 @ 08:00

Fantastic recipe. For those of you who’s brownies turned out to be more like cake, you are probably over mixing the batter. Too much air into the mixture will make it lighter. I just stir with a wooden spoon until it is mixed just enough not to see the flour.
    This is a keeper, Thanks.

52. Iris
    September 3rd, 2012 @ 08:03

When I made them into muffins, I sprayed the paper cups before adding the flour. Since there is no oil in the recipe the muffins will stick other wise. Try freezing them if you can keep from everyone hogging them up before you get then in there. Loved them

53. Adrienne
    September 3rd, 2012 @ 18:37

Made this today and it is great. More like a cake but anything chocolate is alright by me. And when u can enjoy eating vegetables and whole grains in the same bite that is heaven. So delectable.

September 4th, 2012 @ 14:56

@ Janet: Oh, thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad you loved them. Makes my day! Thank you!

@ Joan: I am so sorry for the late reply. I haven’t tried making these brownies with frozen zucchini yet. But I learned with time, that the water content of zucchinis seem to vary widely. Sometimes, the brownies might turn out more dry and sometimes really moist, depending on the zucchinis you use. If you have think the zucchini you’re using might contain more water than normal it might be a good idea to squeeze out some of the juice.

September 4th, 2012 @ 22:32

@ Iris: Thank you so much for your advice about how to avoid turning these into cake-like brownies and to prevent them from sticking!!! Thank you so much!!! I love your feedback <3<3<3

September 4th, 2012 @ 22:47

@ Adrienne: Thank you for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed them. I have heard before that the brownies sometimes turn out to be more cake like. I didn’t experience this but Iris commented here saying that overmixing can be one of the reasons for the cake like texture. I hope this helps. Thanks again for your feedback!

57. Lise
    October 2nd, 2012 @ 18:29

Wow, these were so delicious!! Probably the best I’ve ever made. Served it (warm) to guests and they couldn’t stop raving about how great this was. Hurray and thanks for this awesome recipe!

October 5th, 2012 @ 18:02

@ Lise: Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad you and your guests enjoyed them… :-D

December 7th, 2012 @ 11:37

What?! How haven’t I seen these?! Must make these soon…

December 7th, 2012 @ 21:51

@ Erin: :-P In your defense,I posted them over a year ago. I hope you’ll like them and I bet you can tweak them so they’re even healthier :-D

61. Nana
    March 14th, 2013 @ 11:45

I just made this for my family and they all ABSOLUTELY loved it! Though at first they ridiculed the fact that I’m using zucchini, cardamom, and applesauce for brownies. Thanks to you I won that battle! My mom is making me bake it for the neighbors too!

March 17th, 2013 @ 16:16

@ Nana: Thank you so much! Your comment made me smile :-) I am glad that in the end the brownies got the stamp of approval though. :-) I have had similar experiences. Friends shaking their heads in disbelief about the added zucchini but only until they tried them :-) Thanks again for commenting!

63. Vicky @ Mess For Less
    April 30th, 2013 @ 08:04

Just wanted you to know that I saw your recipe on Pinterest and some other blog copied it and even used your picture with watermark. The nerve! Anyway here is the link. http://www.recipefirst.info/2012/11/healthy-zucchini-brownies.html I will be pinning this from your site.

64. Condensing My Life | The Bakery Bandit
    July 8th, 2013 @ 21:38

[...] [...]

65. Natalie
    July 25th, 2013 @ 12:58

Really, really good. My kids were shocked to find there was actually, “gasp”, whole wheat flour and zucchini in these. I topped with an easy homemade chocolate frosting and they absolutely loved them!

August 4th, 2013 @ 08:39

Oh my GOSH.

Made these last night and they are the best healthy brownies ever! I even reduced the sugar and they were still amazing. I’ll be posting the recipe in a few weeks (with credit to you and all that :) ) if that’s okay with you. You can see a preview on my FB page. They came out really, really well. :D

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Oh and I loved how thick these were! I only made half the recipe in a 9×5 loaf pan. Perfectly thick, gooey and sweet. :)

August 6th, 2013 @ 14:08

@ Natalie: hehe… that sounds like fun. Now you make me wonder whether you told your kids before or after they tried the brownies… :-)

August 6th, 2013 @ 14:09

@ Erin: Oh, you made them? That’s exciting! And you liked them. That is awesome! Of course, you can post it. I am honoured…:-)

69. Alison
    August 13th, 2013 @ 05:33

I have made these Zucchini Brownies several times, they are delicious! Thanks for sharing.

And, because they are so good, I have posted a link to your recipe on my blog today: http://www.you-can-make-that.com/2013/08/fascinating-find-zucchini-brownies.html

August 14th, 2013 @ 10:16

@ Alison: I am glad you enjoyed the brownies. Thank you so much for the link :-)

71. james hammerschmidt
    August 30th, 2013 @ 06:11

made them today AWSOME omg to die for

72. Chocolate “Coconut” Zucchini Cake | Oxheart Love
    September 10th, 2013 @ 17:18

[...] Chocolate “Coconut” Zucchini Cake, aka Worlds Most Moist Cake: Recipe Adapted from The Baltic Maid [...]

73. Chocolate Zucchini Cake with dried cherries & cinnamon | malenamaja
    November 20th, 2013 @ 16:03

[...] I think I just found the holy grail of zucchini cakes. I feel like Indiana Jones, except I have chocolate smeared all across my face and I’m wearing a polka-dot apron instead of a suit. Oh, and I have no hand-eye coordination to speak of so catching someone’s hand the second before they plummet to their untimely death or saving the crown jewels? not a chance. This cake however, is good enough that I feel like I just saved the world. Better yet? It’s so much healthier than any other zucchini cake I’ve ever come across! Honestly, this cake is ridiculously good. Too good almost. You won’t come across anything sweeter, gooier or more decadent. Promise. I based the recipe on Baltic Maid’s Zucchini brownies but significantly lowered the sugar and changed the ingredients around to suit what i had in my kitchen. http://www.balticmaid.com/2011/08/healthy-zucchini-brownies/ [...]

74. charm
    March 3rd, 2014 @ 23:05

hi There, please advise could I use an egg re-placer to substitute the eggs , these brownies look divine but I am not big on eggs. Please advise.

charm

75. Ronda
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 21:36

Made these tonight with my 8-year-old son…he loved shredding the zucchini . Anyway, these are absolutely DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for sharing a fantastic recipe!