Chocolate Frozen Yogurt

Posted on | July 9, 2011 | 8 Comments

One summer in Germany, I worked in an Italian Ice cream Café called San Marco.  I wasn’t allowed to eat ice cream during my long shifts but I did have an ice cream cone every day after work.  The Italian owner of the Café made all the ice cream himself.  It was so delicious and there were so many flavors to chose from…

This summer I am obsessed with making my own homemade ice cream.  I have been experimenting a lot with frozen yogurt.  It is healthy and I don’t feel guilty one bit.  My latest adventure has been chocolate frozen yogurt.  It is rich, a bit tangy and divine…. oh, and easy to make… that’s a big plus in my world.

• 2 cups of low fat or fat free, plain yogurt
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • pinch of salt

Strain the yogurt for several hours.  Line a colander or a sieve with a cheese cloth or something similar.  Add the yogurt to the lined colander/sieve.  Now put the sieve into a bowl and cover it with a plate.  Place in the refrigerator for several hours.  I let it sit for about 3 hours.

Place the strained yogurt in another bowl.  Add the cocoa powder, the sugar, and the milk.  Mix well.

Pour the yogurt into the ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Eat immediately or keep in an airtight container in the freezer.

Comments

8 Responses to “Chocolate Frozen Yogurt”

1. Jenn
    July 9th, 2011 @ 20:41

I purchased an ice cream maker a month or so ago and I have been looking for yummy recipes, but most of them are not very good for the waist line – ya know what I mean. I should try and make this recipe and like you said – it’s guiltless!

2. jess white @athriftyfoodie
    July 10th, 2011 @ 01:59

this is frozen yoghurt! i thought it was ice cream at first, GREAT!! cant wait to eat this and feel (relatively) guilt free!

3. Amanda
    July 10th, 2011 @ 12:12

Oh yum! That looks so sinful… but it’s not! Thanks for sharing. :)

September 15th, 2011 @ 10:43

Thank you all for visiting and leaving a comment. I hope you got to try the Frozen Yogurt and loved it as much as I did.

5. Mathew
    October 13th, 2012 @ 20:12

Just made this tonight using home made Greek yogurt. Two things I found:
    1. The mixture was WAY to thick to pour into the ice cream maker. I had to spoon it in. This may be corrected by adding more milk
    2. The flavor was almost unpalatable. Very bitter, tasted like I was eating frozen unsweetened cocoa powder. I think either cutting down on that or adding more sugar would fix it.

October 13th, 2012 @ 21:17

@ Mathew: The recipe uses yogurt that has been strained only for several hours. This way it contains a lot more liquid than Greek yogurt. It explains why your mixture was too thick. Personally, I haven’t had luck with turning Greek yogurt into frozen yogurt yet for this very same reason. So this would solve the first issue.
    Secondly, I am German and our food is a lot less sweet than American food. I liked the tangy taste of this frozen yogurt but simply add more sugar to your own taste and preference and taste it before you add it to the ice cream maker to adjust the sweetness. Or like you said reduce the amount of cocoa powder.
    I am sorry you didn’t enjoy this as much as I did. I hope your next try (in case there is a next time) will be more palatable… :-)

7. Mathew
    October 14th, 2012 @ 06:52

One of the joys of things like this is the ability to experiment. :) This is a good base recipe that I plan on keeping and playing around with!

October 22nd, 2012 @ 21:55

@ Mathew: Yes, I love experimenting with food. I hope you have some fun with this and find just the right recipe for you. Good luck!