Cartofi Aburiti – Romanian Steamed and Fried Potatoes

Posted on | June 9, 2011 | 7 Comments

These Romanian potatoes are crispy on one side and soft on the other.  It’s a really tasty mixture between French fries and cooked potatoes.  They make a wonderful side dish or main dish if you like.  This recipe is a Romanian family recipe from my friend Natalie.  Thank you!

• potatoes
  • oil
  • garlic, minced
  • salt, to taste

Wash and peel the potatoes.  Cut them into little squares, and dry them off with a kitchen towel.

Heat a little bit of oil in a large non-stick frying pan.  Make sure you have a lid for the pan.  Add the minced garlic and let it cook in the hot oil until fragrant, somewhere between 10 and 30 seconds.  Add the potatoes.  Cover the pan with the lid and let the potatoes cook over medium heat.

Every few minutes you want to shift the potatoes a little so they don’t get stuck to the pan.  But you want to make sure you only fry the potatoes on one side.  So don’t shift of stir them around too much.  Add a little more oil if needed.

The potatoes will be done when they are soft (when poked with a knife), and the bottom of the potato cubes is crispy and golden brown.

Season with salt to taste.

Comments

7 Responses to “Cartofi Aburiti – Romanian Steamed and Fried Potatoes”

1. len
    June 10th, 2011 @ 13:53

Have not heard of it (even if I’m romanian) but it looks so nice I will try it.

2. pet
    June 18th, 2011 @ 05:35

Besser als übliche Bratkartoffeln, richtig knusprig auf der “Bratseite” und in kurzer Zeit gar – eine tolle Beilage.
    danke für das Rezept dieser lecker schmeckenden Kartoffeln ;o))

3. alex
    July 18th, 2011 @ 00:07

cool style potatoes

4. Gourmandelle
    August 19th, 2011 @ 02:29

I’m Romanian too and I didn’t know about this recipe. I’m so glad I do know now. I really wanted to eat potatoes today and this recipe is just perfect! Thanks!

5. Jo
    November 20th, 2011 @ 19:07

Hi there,

I’d like to introduce to you a new website http://www.foodepix.com that we have
    just recently launched. Foodepix is a photo gallery of delicious and mouth
    watering food.

We’ve seen your blog and we love your pictures and recipes. We would love
    to invite you to register with foodepix.com and upload your images.

Hope to see you there. :)

Thanks.

6. Ana
    November 18th, 2012 @ 11:29

I’m Romanian and I really appreciate that you decided to present one of our traditional recipes!

November 19th, 2012 @ 14:04